What is ISO 45001:2018 standard?
OHSAS 18001 was developed to help organisations meet their health and safety obligations in a competent and successful behaviour through controlling the potential hazards within an organisation. Despite not being an ISO standard, ISO 45001:2018 has been developed to be mutually compatible with the ISO 9001 (Quality Management System) and ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System) standards, thus facilitating the achieving of a 3-in-1 integrated management system strategy for organisations.
Principles of ISO 45001:2018 standard
The ISO 45001:2018 standard is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act methodology, with an emphasis on continual improvement. The following steps form the basic structure of the management system and link into the structure of ISO 45001:2018.
- Plan: Identify and establish the objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance with the organization’s OH&S policy.
- Do: Implement the processes for the Health and Safety Management System.
- Check: Monitor and measure processes of the management system against OH&S policy, objectives, legal and other requirements, and report the results or take any necessary corrective action.
- Act: Evaluate and take actions to continually improve the effectiveness and applicability of OH&S performance.
Benefits of ISO 45001:2018 standard
- Gain competitive advantages in the global market
- Enhance health and safety working environment
- Enhance company image and brand reputation
- Continual improvement of organisational performance
- Encourage organisations to improve working environment with ensured health and safety for employees
- Demonstrate your commitment to health and safety towards company’s stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements
- Better management of health and safety risk and potentially reduced public liability